Birchbox: Systems Administrator
Location: New York, NY
Birchbox is looking for a Systems Administrator with a passion for building infrastructure that is maintainable and scalable. You are creative, pragmatic, always seeking to learn, and never lose site of the goal of delivering an amazing end-user experience to the customer.
- Infrastructure expansion and support; dev is virtualized, QA and prod are collocated hardware
- Refine our software lifecycle practices and deployment strategy
- Build tools and processes to improve the practices of development and quality assurance
- Support our office network, and provide assistance to staff
- 2-3 years of experience in a production web shop (and some personal projects, too)
- Experience with the standard chain of technologies found in a web shop: apache2, varnish, app and transport LBs
- Experience with relational and non-relational data storage and access, in particular, replicated mysql and memcache
- Understanding of IP networking, associated physical topologies, and the supporting service infrastructure
- Great facility with the UNIX paradigm; we’re a Linux shop (Debian) and we have OS X desktops and laptops
- Experience developing tools to manage a complex collection of environments
- Experience troubleshooting under pressure
- (Perl or Python), Ruby and Bourne-compat shell skills
- You have a thirst for new knowledge, and responsibility. You want to own projects in their entirety, and master new problem spaces and technologies.
- You are compelled to excellence, powerless to resist the siren’s song of a beautiful solution.
- You are pragmatic: sometimes a beautiful solution is impermanent and expedient. You know how to make the call.
- You are persistent: it’s a job, it has some grind, you know how to dig out a solution; at the end of the day it has to ship.
- You are joyful and take pride in what you do; we’re a talented and diverse crew, lucky enough to be building something people really love.
- Experience with Chef
- Experience packaging for Debian
- Familiarity with messaging systems such as XMPP and AMQP
- Experience with payment, logistics, inventory management, and consumer ecommerce systems
Tech @ Birchbox
The tech team at Birchbox is responsible for maintaining and improving the company’s customer-facing site (http://birchbox.com), managing hosted and cloud infrastructure, and closely supporting other teams (logistics, marketing, et al.) in our 65+-person company. We work with a wide variety of open-source technologies: Debian-based servers; Chef deployments; Ruby on Rails and Java services; Python scripts; and even PHP and Perl, God forbid. The size of our team and the breadth of its responsibilities means we rely on our engineers to be self-motivated and quickly follow through on tasks without requiring close supervision. In return our engineers are given leeway to use their own initiative.
We are a small, diverse team of engineers:
- Ryan Buskirk is a web application engineer, arcade machine builder, guitar wailer, and all around swell guy with over ten years of professional experience.
- Becky Case is an engineer who’s worked on multi-million-dollar-per-day systems without batting an eyelash. She is obsessed with her Yorkie, Pixel.
- Jereme Corrado is a systems architect who enjoys building clean solutions to the hard problems of scale and continually evolving dev.
- Liz Crawford is the CTO @ Birchbox. She has a PhD in Computer Science, and a preference for silly novels, adventurous sports, and sunshine.
- Aaron Ingram is the author of Practical Oracle Security and a backend programmer specializing in databases and security.
- Benjamin Kelly is a data scientist and thrives on discovering actionable insights from data. He has a PhD in Information Theory and enjoys jazz, chess and current affairs.
- Matt Kimmel is a jack-of-all-trades programmer who thrives on coding challenges and is fueled by fresh sushi.
- Dave Lewis is a dedicated problem solver with a pragmatic approach to everything.
- Marie Matheson is an espresso-powered software engineer, responsible for feature development and occasional dabbling in web site beautification.
- David Morrison is a product guy who is passionate about technology, startups, design and sports. He loves a jog. And still hasn’t found the perfect journal.
Why it’s great to work at Birchbox
- The chance to build a fresh infrastructure to express better solutions to old and new problems.
- The opportunity to work on conceiving, designing and building a next-generation ecommerce experience.
- The uncommon chance to be at the start of something huge. We have only made a small dent in what we’re planning to do and we are growing rapidly.
- We think Cake, Chocolate, Espresso and Indian Cuisine are food groups. Which is part of the reason why we also believe in working out in the office. Push-ups anyone?
- Free beauty products and advice on exfoliation (you may not want it, but you’ll find out why you need it!).
Birchbox is changing the way people discover and shop for beauty and lifestyle products. We combine a personalized subscription service that delivers high-end samples directly to our members with an online magazine and store. Our platform provides our brand partners with a more effective way to access customers.
Birchbox launched in the Fall of 2010 and is one of the fastest growing companies in New York. We are backed by top VC firms, including Accel Partners and First Round Capital. You can get a feel for the buzz about Birchbox, by searching for us on YouTube: http://birch.ly/nl6nVp. For traditional media coverage, checkout our press page: http://www.birchbox.com/press.
View full post on Recent Programming Jobs
612 total views, 1 today