Location: Chicago, IL
# Seasoned Developer
We are growing our development team. Instead of including a list of requirements we want you to understand how we work. If our environment sounds like a place for you, then go to our ‘How to Apply’ section and follow the instructions.
# How we work
## We pair
We pair program to write all of our software. We work on Mac Pros with two keyboards and two monitors. We work in an open team room; no cubicles or private offices. Communication is key to our process, and we don’t want to hinder it with walls.
## We test
Testing is at the forefront of our development philosophy. We never need to check our code coverage to know that it’s at 100%: with disciplined TDD, no line of code will be written without a test. We don’t have a QA team. That might be terrifying when you consider the type of software that we’re building, but we’re confident that our automated testing is thorough and will catch any regression bugs. We use continuous integration to test every version of every client library against our gateway.
## We are agile
Agile development methodologies mean different things to different people. For us, the most important part of Agile is doing what works best for the team. We have a story card wall and release a few times a week. We keep the team in sync with daily standups and have a retrospective once a month to discuss things that are going well and opportunities for improvements. We’re pragmatic, not dogmatic. Although we have strong opinions, we’re never afraid to try to new things to see if they work and reconsider our positions if the situation warrants it.
## We are polyglots
Although most of our software is written in Ruby, we don’t confine ourselves to a single programming language. We believe in using the best tool for the job while maintaining a slight bias toward the tools the team knows the best. We’ve written infrastructure components in Python, and we build client libraries for integrating with Braintree in Ruby, Python, Node.js, PHP, Java, and .NET.
## We value our people
We spend a whole day every two weeks working on whatever we’re interested in, regardless of whether it’s relevant to the business. Some examples of the things people have chosen to work on include competing against each other to build a mesh chat client in node.js, contributing to open source projects, and discussing strategies for our Google AI challenge submissions.
Compensation packages include 401k matching and ample vacation time.
We expect a seasoned developer to have 2 years of experience building web applications. If you don’t have that experience yet, we have other developer positions that might be a good fit for you, with a salary that’s also competitive.
We’re looking for people who are interested in getting in on the ground floor of an incredible opportunity to build amazing software and transform the payments industry.
Take a look at some of our blog posts to see some of the problems we face:
Think you’ve got something to contribute to our exceptional team? We’d like to hear from you!
## How to Apply
Please DO NOT apply if:
* You’d feel like a fish out of water without a well defined traditional corporate structure
* You’d consider taking out the trash as being below you
* You’re accustomed to using the phrase “it’s not part of my job description”
Please DO apply if:
* You have the desired experience (this is not a learn on the job position)
* You’re a doer – not a manager, a coordinator, or an idea person – but someone who loves to get stuff done, and done well
* You are a “go to” person because you’re reliable, creative, resourceful, a good decision maker, and generally one of the most capable people your peers know
* You’re accustomed to a small company environment including wearing many hats and managing way too many things at any given time
* You’re articulate, persuasive, and tech savvy
* Your friends and former employers would gush about you and your awesomeness
To apply: Apply at http://braintree.theresumator.com/apply/sd3UnC/Seasoned-Developer.html
View full post on Recent Programming Jobs
293 total views, 1 today