Location: Brooklyn, New York
The Technology department at the Brooklyn Museum seeks a part time programmer to help manage the museum’s Web infrastructure and back-end workflow automation tools. We’re looking for someone who’s had direct experience supporting database-heavy Web applications running on Amazon cloud services and can assist with our current migration. You’d be migrating several Ruby, PHP, and BASH data sharing scripts to operate in the cloud. You’d also help streamline our Web development and deployment processes.
You’d be joining a small team on a variety of Web and in-gallery projects related to art, community, visitor experience and open access. Recent projects have included publishing over 93,000 object records in our collection online and the creation of an API alongside it; Split Second: Indian Paintings,an online experiment and in-gallery installation exploring visitors’ split-second reactions to our Indian paintings collection; and visualization and data analysis looking at objects in our collection..
Here’s our skill checklist:
- Expertise with Linux command-line programming (PHP, Ruby, BASH);
- Expertise managing Amazon cloud services (e.g. EC2, RDS, CF, S3)
- Expertise writing SQL and performance-tuning queries;
- Confidence to make informed recommendations about infrastructure tuning andexpansion;
- Experience structuring a Web Dev environment and streamlining deployment;
- Experience fine-tuning Apache and MySQL for performance including selection andconfiguration of caching modules;
- Familiarity with Microsoft SQL Server scripting (i.e. SSIS)
This is a contract position that will end in September 2012 and does not offer medical benefits. It is located at the Museum’s offices in Brooklyn, but may eventually become a situation where you can work remotely.
Applicants for positions at the Brooklyn Museum are considered without regard to race, creed, color, country of origin, sex, age, citizenship, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply: To apply, please send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be original and avoid cover letter boilerplates; let us know why you think you’d be a good match.
View full post on Recent Programming Jobs
285 total views, 2 today