Location: San Mateo, CA
Senior Software Engineer (Rails, Agile, Social Good!)
Caring.com seeks a Senior Engineer to work with our experienced Ruby on Rails team to enhance and improve our web applications.
Caring.com is the preeminent web site for the 40 million of us who care for an aging parent or grandparent. We are looking for a very senior engineer to join our small team of likewise experienced individuals. Business/technical challenges for 2011 include: enhancements to our Local Services platform, improving our personalized advice and support applications, and re-architecting our service to manage emerging scale challenges.
Our stack is based on Ruby on Rails, and our process is Agile/Scrum<sup>*</sup>. We follow developments in the Open Source community and in some cases lead Open Source developments. See, for example, Compass (http://www.github.com/chriseppstein/compass
We are looking for someone who is…
- a rigorous and analytical thinker;
- an adherent to high performance (agile) software development techniques (we use scrum);
- an avid learner — capable of rapidly learning new languages, frameworks, and design patterns;
- the person in the organization who ‘makes it happen’;
- a cultural fit: highly ethical, collaborative, hard working, and creative;
- passionate about delivering a superior product that will help millions of families
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Work with product management, design, and the engineering team to design our next generation of web applications;
- Code applications in Rails, tests with Cucumber and Test::Unit;
- Alongside our UX designer, code front end user interface (HAML & Sass);
- Contribute to our overall architecture and platform — helping us to adopt new technologies, such as MongoDB, CSS3, HTML5, microformats.
Desired Technical Skills:
- 2+ Years Ruby on Rails Experience;
- Mastery of OO and AOP concepts and practice; meta programming experience is helpful (esp., python, Rails);
- Good SQL skills (mysql) and NoSQL (mongodb); good understanding of ActiveRecord and ActiveResource;
- Experience with best engineering practices: BDD, unit testing, iterative development;
- Experience with high productivity development environments: Cucumber, git/github,, etc.;
- Facile in OSX and LINUX environments.
Founded in 2007, Caring.com is a leading online destination for people seeking information and support as they care for aging parents, spouses, and other loved ones. Our mission: to help family caregivers make better decisions, save time and money, and feel less alone — and less stressed — as they face the many challenges of caregiving.
More than 40 million people in the United States care for someone over age 50, yet most have little preparation or experience when they begin their caregiving journey. To make that journey a little easier, we provide thousands of original articles, helpful tools, advice from more than 50 leading experts, a comprehensive directory of caregiving services, and the collective wisdom of an involved community. Our seasoned executive team, editors, and technical staff have decades of experience producing award-winning health and family media, and nearly all of us have first-hand experience as caregivers.
Our office is in San Mateo, California, just two blocks from the Hillsdale CalTrain station and convenient to Highways 92, 101, and 280. We offer a competitive salary, stock options, health/dental/vision coverage, and a 401K plan. We’re a venture-backed company funded by DCM, Intel Capital, Shasta Ventures, and Split Rock Partners.
Please send resumes to the attention of Steven Fram at steve (at) caring (dot) com.
(*) Steve Fram, our CIO, serves on the board of the National Scrum Alliance.
To apply: Send your resume to steve @ caring (dot) com
View full post on Recent Programming Jobs
581 total views, 2 today