CrowdFlower: Senior Operations Automation Engineer
Location: San Francisco, CA
CrowdFlower is changing the way work gets done, and we want you to help. We are building a technology platform that takes large, data-heavy projects and breaks them into small tasks that are distributed to a million-person, on-demand workforce around the world. Our technology then aggregates the results and controls for quality. We have a highly automated platform thats growing quickly. As our second resident Senior Operations Automation Engineer, youll be building the system automation that allows our system to grow smoothly while maintaining very high availability. Our system has been automated using Chef from the early days – now were expanding into the cloud, and our system automation is moving from best practice to mission critical. If you havent worked with Chef but used Puppet instead or even rolled your own automation, that experience will work for us too.
We thrive on innovation. Our company is at the forefront of the emerging crowdsourced labor market and we want to see the best ideas you have.
We are growing fast and need smart, creative people, willing to work (and play) hard to come help us cultivate the crowd. Come work with our exceptional team in a large open office at 17th and Mission that boasts the largest collection of office plants this side of Market Street and near constant access to Tacos.
A few things youll focus on as a Senior Ops. Automation Engineer here:
* Automating infrastructure – quickly build, deploy and destroy servers for every purpose, from quick testbeds to mission-critical clusters
* Scaling our platform – figure out how to most efficiently distribute work across the globe
* Debugging runtime problems – trace issues across multiple systems, eliminate them, and measure the results.
* Solving complex problems with simple, repeatable solutions
* Performance analysis – you should feel comfortable working all the way down the stack, starting with a slow web request and ending with an analysis of network-based disk IO
* Determining best estimates to difficult problems – how many burritos are consumed every day in the Mission?
* Solid command of system automation frameworks and concepts
* Unix mastery
* Prior experience building out and scaling at least one significant production apps infrastructure
* Sysadmin experience, whether official or not
* Excellent system-level thinking – we want you to help design our systems, not just implement specs. You should have opinions on
* Configuration management
* Build and deploy strategies
* Imperative vs declarative configuration
* Trending and reporting systems
* System security
Nice to Have:
* A solid open-source portfolio
* Ruby mastery
* Crowdsourcing – the name of our game – big ups if youre familiar
* Stats – numbers are the bomb.com – the more you can geek out at this level, the better
* We use the best tools, so lets talk keywords. Show us your experience in:
* Chef or Puppet or a roll-your-own automation tool
* Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, EBS, Mechanical Turk – the whole #!)
* Other configuration frameworks like cfengine, lcfg, bcfg2, etc
* Debian/Ubuntu package management
* Mongo, Riak, or Couch
* Runit, daemontools and friends
* Rack apps
To apply: Apply Here: http://www.applytracking.com/track.aspx/RpBJ
View full post on Recent Programming Jobs
285 total views, 1 today