Formspring: Systems Engineer
Location: San Francisco, CA
Q: Have you ever salivated while reading Cassandra release notes?
Q: How many things are wrong with the statement "MongoDB is Web Scale"?
Q: Does membase get you hot and bothered?
Formspring is the place for you to answer these questions!
Backed by some of the
COMPANY: Webs most respected investors, Formspring is a social media startup on the rise, and were now looking for new team members for our San Francisco office. We are building the next massive social platform, powered by questions and answers. We launched on November 25th 2009 and in less than 3 months skyrocketed into the list of top websites in the US. Formspring.me is unique in our unprecedented growth and traffic. In under a year we have amassed over 16 million registered users, and over 1 billion answered questions. With that growth comes some exciting challenges, and youll have the opportunity to implement creative solutions at a very early stage. We are a small team which is growing fast, well-funded, and poised for long-term success.
Our user-to-employee ratio is well over a million to one, and were looking to keep it that way. Thats where you come in.
We are looking for a server-side Scalability Engineer to join our team and help support our rapid growth. Your understanding of highly-scalable database-driven web applications will be critical to our long-term success. You will help us chart our future by determining when components of our current infrastructure will become overwhelmed or obsolete.
* Architect, deploy and administer web application environments
* Ensure peak system availability and response times
* Build tools to automate infrastructure monitoring and management
* Design, build, test, and deploy systems to improve reliability, availability, and performance
* Work closely with application engineers and architects to plan for new features and services
* Resolve critical performance issues in a timely, sane, and sustainable manner
* 3+ years experience with large-scale database-driven web apps
* Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
* Expertise in Linux, Apache, MySQL and web hosting environments
* Experience working with memcached or other distributed caching systems
* Experience with Cacti, Munin, Zenoss, or other systems monitoring tools
* Experience with Amazon Web Services (EC2, ELB, S3, SQS, RDS) strongly preferred
* Experience working with Postfix, Sendmail, PowerMTA, or other email
* Competency in Shell, Python, PHP, and/or Perl programming
* Familiarity with NoSQL databases is a plus
* Experience with 24/7 on-call pager rotation
* Sense of humor is a must
* This position is full-time, in our San Francisco office, which is easily accessible by public transportation.
* We offer competitive salary and stock options.
* We provide full benefits: medical, dental, vision, life, and more.
View full post on Recent Programming Jobs
625 total views, 1 today