Location: New York, NY
We are seeking a Rails programmer who, if possible, will additionally contribute to a wide range of other fun programming and technical projects. The position is available immediately.
We are a small design studio known as one of the most innovative technology-based design firms of our size. Most of our clients are in the cultural and arts sectors. We work on a very diverse range of projects, many of which belie our small size, such as:
- Visualizing millions of data points of ocean current movement for a well-known artist
- The website for a major museum
- A giant New York City scavenger hunt
- An iPad application for an artist
- Our own iPhone game
- An innovative and fun Rails-based CMS
Our work is sometimes political, often generous in spirit, and it takes risks. Our design almost always takes deep inspiration from technical possibilities and structures, and we believe passionately in designing ecosystems that develop over time, that work for users, and that make the qualities of people’s lives better. All of our partners and designers are also teachers at the undergraduate and graduate level.
Integrating very tightly with our existing team, you will be our first on-staff dedicated programmer. Up to now our two designers and two partners have been doing all programming, together with contract-based programmers.
You must have a great spirit, be passionate about what we make together, be organized, responsible, and self-initiated, collaborate well in a team, like music, be curious and fun, embrace challenges, and love learning new things and keeping up with the latest stuff.
You must possess the following minimum technical skills, which mix front-end and back-end development and strategy across a range of platforms:
- Rails 2.1 and Rails 3 (we may ask you to help develop our CMS into a salable product)
- HTML and CSS best practices, including CSS 3, best practices for accessibility and browser compatibility, and browser testing
- MySQL and database design
- Linux, including website deployment onto VPS servers
- Rails production deployment including Phusion Passenger and Apache configuration
The following skills are a plus and many will help with some projects already underway:
- Involvement in one or more open-source projects
- Experience developing ecommerce websites
- Experience with HTML5 video
- Experience with in-store point-of-sale systems
- Experience developing accessible websites
- Experience developing social sharing tools
- Experience with test-driven development
- Experience with typography and with coding refined graphic design
- Experience with user testing and quality assurance processes
- Experience with wireframing, planning user flows through a complex system, and testing your work against those use cases
- Experience with NoSQL databases
- Experience with scalable, load-balanced or cloud-based website deployments
- iOS development experience
- Android development experience
- Game development or game design experience, or you play a lot of games
- Facebook app development experience
- Experience in at least one desktop programming language (Java, C, etc.)
- Experience with Processing, OpenFrameworks, Cinder, or similar graphics frameworks
- Hardware development experience (including Arduino etc.)
- Comfortable on Macintosh
- Experience with Adobe InDesign and Illustrator
- Project management experience or other experience managing a large project
Of course, as a member of a highly integrated team, you’ll contribute your input and expertise to all aspects of our work, not just code.
You will work four or five days a week in our Lower East Side loft space (with the possibility to keep one day for your own projects). We are located very close to the D and F trains among others, near many great places to eat and hang out, and in a unique building with many other interesting firms and artists. Our work environment is relaxed and human, even though we all work hard. Working from home is an alternative possibility. We are open to discussing all aspects of schedule, based on our mutual needs.
This is a unique chance to do something fun, work with great people on a wide range of interesting stuff, and learn new things. Send us a note and let us know if it seems like it good be a good fit!
To apply: Send resume and note to email@example.com
View full post on Recent Programming Jobs
304 total views, 1 today