Location: San Francisco CA
Here at Lookout, we believe that people should be able to use their mobile phones without having to worry about hackers, viruses, and more. We’re a company doing big things on small devices.
We’re looking for a senior or principal full-stack engineer to be a core part of a small, agile team that is building both a web application and a backend web service that interfaces with our software on a huge number of smartphones. What do we mean by a huge number? Millions of devices connecting a day, a billion full-stack requests per month, managing hundreds of terabytes of data. Our servers handle collaborative anti-malware scanning with phones, monitor new and existing threats, back up and restore data, and provide remote management facilities for devices.
You’ll be working on a web-scale application, so an aptitude for developing elegant, scalable, robust, and maintainable code is a must. You should have very strong knowledge of relational databases, and be ready to work with NoSQL and distributed systems as well. Our Dev and Ops groups are tightly integrated, so expect to be involved in automation, data analysis, and monitoring, as well as working with QA on load and performance testing. You’ll get to work hands on with plenty of exciting scale challenges as we grow to support tens of millions of users across hundreds of servers with petabytes of storage in multiple data centers. We use a variety of technologies including Ruby on Rails, Passenger, Apache, MySQL, GlusterFS, Redis, Hadoop, and many more.
Successful applicants are responsible, self-motivated, and confident; can get things done; can intuitively anticipate problems; look beyond immediate issues; take initiative to improve both our software and our development infrastructure. In short, we look for people who take pride in the craft of software engineering and have proven to be quite good at it.
We believe in agile software development, metrics, short feedback loops, well-designed APIs, test driven development, automation wherever possible, and all sorts of other things to make sure we can minimize friction and focus on solving the big problems.
- Able to come up to speed quickly on our existing implementation
- Able to lead development of our backend service, including designing the architecture, estimating, and delivering a high quality solution that can scale to millions of users
- Passionate about unit, functional, integration, and other forms of automated testing
- Desire to own features end to end–a feature isn’t delivered until all aspects of it are done to a high degree of quality (whether they are glamorous or not)
- Participate in growing a strong engineering team and culture: everything from hiring great people to mentoring engineers to fine-tuning process as necessary.
- Experience developing scalable network services
- Excellent communication skills, able to work well with a smart, passionate and growing team
- Comfortable working in a dynamic startup environment
- Expert at writing Ruby (on or off rails), or able to become one in a short amount of time
- Significant experience working with relational databases (MySQL preferred) in the context of web services
The smartphone, the tablet, multiple platforms, hundreds of thousands of mobile apps – average user has 22. Your smartphone is vital to your work and everyday life. The next generation of computing is definitely the mobile device, and Lookout is dedicated to making yours safe (as well as 10 million others, and counting!) We’re the leader in consumer smartphone security worldwide, and yet we’re still a small software company in SF. We’re funded by top-tier investors who have helped build companies such as Skype, Facebook, Admob, PayPal, and DropBox.
Our software protects your mobile device from malware and spyware, provides privacy protection, data backup and phone location services, as well as keeping users safe from phishing and malicious websites. We’re moving ahead fast. With 10 million users today, we’ve grown over 250% since December 2010, and we’re just getting started. Our unique, award-winning technology scans applications worldwide, allowing us to find and stop threats before they ever become a risk to you. All in a friendly, easy to use app. We’re top-tier VC backed
with an outstanding team
that’s grown to 55 employees. We’ve received tons of great press, and continue to delight millions of users across the world.
See more including broadcast coverage in our News Room:
To apply: Send us a resume! email@example.com
View full post on Recent Programming Jobs
318 total views, 1 today