Maxis: Lead Engineer – Maxis
Location: Emeryville, CA
Maxis, a division of Electronic Arts, is located in Emeryville, California. The creators of popular franchises The Sims and SimCity, Maxis games are best known for their deep simulation, creativity, and unique style of gameplay. We foster a fun and creative environment, filled with people who have a strong passion to make great games.
Maxis is seeking an exceptional Lead Engineer to work with the team to develop an innovative social, web, and PC game. We are looking for a candidate who is passionate, a leader, and a team builder. The person in this role is responsible for shipping a working, on-line multiplayer PC game, at an acceptable level of run-time performance, meeting deadlines, within budget and expected quality. They can not only determine performance problems but also solve them. This person leads the project’s engineering team, and works closely with Design, Production, Art and QA. They are intimately involved in the planning and coordination of the project. They have knowledge of the diverse technical areas of the game.
This person is the main point of contact for the Engineering team in project related issues. They represent the engineering team to the other parts of the project team and studio management, and must trigger escalation of issues that arise throughout the project life cycle.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
* Identify required technical documentation and drive these to acceptable completion
* Vet engineering estimates for all engineering tasks. Raise the issue when tasks become a risk due to underestimated time, feature creep, priority changes, etc…
* Identify and communicate needs for additional team personnel.
* Involved in hiring additional team personnel.
* Train and mentor engineers on the team.
* Look ahead to predict risks (quality, schedule, etc.), communicate these, and propose actions to mitigate those risks.
* Participate in project post-mortems, including proposed solutions or alternatives for the future.
* Participate proactively in knowledge sharing processes including best practices
* Remain familiar with internal tools and technologies
Skills and Knowledge Required:
– University Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
– Fluency in English (written and spoken)
– Solid software engineering skills.
* 5+ years of experience developing games
* 3+ years of experience leading an engineering team
* Intimate knowledge of C++ including STL
* Experience developing games on PC
* 2+ years of experience as a developer on an online game
View full post on Recent Programming Jobs
142 total views, 1 today