Metro (Los Angeles): Database/System Administrator
Location: Los Angeles
- Perform all duties to keep our site happy day, night, and weekends by installing, configuring, and maintaining operating system and system software; maintain software installations and upgrades across redundant web and database servers.
- Implement configuration management (puppet, cfengine); version control, distribution (Subversion/CVS/Git and dpkg/rpm); alternative web servers/caches (varnish); and web daemons: NGINX, Lighttpd, MySQL/Postgres, etc.
- Implement system monitoring on application and database servers; manage legacy servers (Windows IIS 2003 and 2008); perform client performance tuning (i/o, CPU, RAM, caching).
- Implement server clustering and high availability in general; maintain usable backups.
- Collaborate with Metro’s web team to ensure full integration into web framework.
- Meet with web team and Communications staff for project kickoffs, reviews, and/or file delivery.
- Report demonstrating understanding of current database / web systems (databases, application servers, media servers, load balancing, backup servers, software stack, etc).
- Project plan/schedule for overhaul and migration of current web systems to offsite hosting (databases, application servers, media servers, load balancing, backup servers, software stack, etc).
- Set-up, migration, configuration, implementation, testing, quality assurance of rebuilding Metro’s complete web systems offsite.
- Implementation of load balancing, fail-over, and usable back-up systems.
- Implementation of database replication system and process.
- System monitoring on all application and database servers.
- Updating web server / database system software
- Modifications to web server / database system software
- Metro will pay against submitted invoices per terms of the contract:– Phase 1: Invoices based on delivery of items 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 — Phase 2: Invoices based on hourly rate
- Independent Contractor’s compensation shall commensurate with qualifications and experience and subject to negotiation with Metro.
- Insurance is required to work at Metro; specifics will be discussed at time of selection.
- Services will be provided as an independent contractor and does not include employee benefits.
- Independent contractor shall complete work by June 30, 2013, unless this Contract is terminated earlier or extended by Metro, as provided in the Contract.
- Phase 1 should be complete within 4 months of award of contract.
- Metro may extend the Period of Performance at its sole discretion by exercising up to two one year extensions by issuance of an appropriately funded modification to the Contract.
- Funding for this Contract is based upon availability of funds as determined by Metro’s fiscal budget which runs from July 1 through June 30 of each fiscal year. If funding is not approved for any subsequent fiscal year during which the Contract is in effect, Metro will issue a stop work notice.
- Letter of Interest (why you are interested and why you would be the most qualified proposer)
- Qualifications and experience (resume and references)
- Samples of work (portfolio and links)
- Phase 1 fee proposal (include fee per each deliverable)
- Phase 2 hourly rate
- System Admin Skill Set
- System Admin Experience
- References and Availability
- Fee Proposal
To apply: Attn: Doug Goodwin, Lead Developer
Subject: DB/SysAdmin Services
View full post on Recent Programming Jobs
381 total views, 1 today