Location: Madison, WI
The Educational Research group of the Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery is looking for a Rails Developer to join our team. We build video games that immerse players in science, ranging from microbiology to biomedical imaging and cancer treatment to ecology.
We need someone to help us to build a video game that simulates rural ecologies and economics. The developer’s primary responsibilities will be crafting the server-side simulation of Wisconsin ecosystems and economies in Ruby, creating web services that expose the simulated game world to clients, and crafting HTML5 front ends for users of a social platform for game-based learning.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about developing interactive web applications and games, is excited about designing a socially valuable game and wants to work as a member of a small interdisciplinary team.
What you would bring:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent related work experience
- Expertise in Ruby, Python, Scala or Lisp
- Expertise in HTML5 web application development
- Experience developing web applications in Rails, Django or Node.js
- Comfort working with Linux/Unix
- Expertise in working with SQL and NoSQL (e.g., redis and MongoDB) databases
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a diverse team environment that values different styles and approaches and has the ability to collaboratively problem solve
- Desire to work with us in our cool building in Madison, Wis.
- Be committed to the Morgridge Institute’s vision of “Discovery to Delivery,” which centers on accelerating the movement of science from the laboratories of researchers to public use around the world as treatment, cures, and educational materials.
Bonus points for:
- Experience developing scientific simulations or models
- Video game aficionado desired but not required
- Experience contributing to open source software projects
The Morgridge Institute for Research is a new, private, not-for-profit interdisciplinary biomedical research organization dedicated to the vision of “Discovery to Delivery,” of accelerating the movement of science from the laboratories of researchers to public use around the world as treatments and cures.
Research at the Morgridge Institute focuses on five research challenge areas: regenerative biology, which includes stem cell science; virology, the study of viruses; medical devices; pharmaceutical informatics, the use of information technology, statistics and mathematics to improve and speed drug development; and education research. The nonprofit institute has launched programs to explore and promote core computational technologies and scientific outreach. Work at the new institute enhances and complements world class research activities at the University of Wisconsin–Madison, one of the best-funded research universities in the country.
The state-of-the-art facility housing the institutes, which opened in December 2010, serves as a hub for researchers to collaborate across scientific disciplines and for broader public interactions. In addition to 106,000 square feet of research space on four floors, the facility includes extensive public spaces in its Town Center to welcome all with food, interactive displays, ongoing activities, hands-on learning labs, events and meeting spaces. For additional information, please visit: http://discovery.wisc.edu/morgridge
To apply: Qualified individuals interested in this opportunity are required to submit a cover letter and resume via the online career portal at: https://morgridge-researchrecruit.icims.com/jobs/1157/job
If possible, include a link to your github account in your
View full post on Recent Design Jobs
238 total views, 1 today