Location: Anywhere in the US
MoveOn.org Civic Action is looking for an editorial web designer with a passion for progressive politics, an amazing sense for all things visual, and a clever, creative, enterprising attitude. This is an independent contractor position.
About the Project:
Right-wing spin is drowning out the truth. Fox News looms over our political culture. Fewer Americans believe that climate change is real every day. Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin drive our national narratives.
We have a plan to make sure that the truth gets out online, but we need smart people to help us make it happen. The effort is led by former senior staff at MoveOn and The Onion; by coming in on the ground floor, you can also help shape it from the beginning.
You shine when touching-up an photo, prettying-up a chart, or simplifying-up a user interface. You can happily spend 8 hours designing a complex infographic or 8 minutes searching for a funny image online to accompany a blog post. You’re as comfortable tweaking CSS as you are juggling layers in Photoshop.
We’re looking for a design generalist, so qualified candidates will have most of these skills:
- User interface design
- Editorial design
- Quick Photoshop work
- Good eye for powerful images, good ability to find them quickly online
- Strong CSS/HTML
- Infographics a plus
- Higher-level tech skills (e.g. Perl, AJAX) a plus
- Strong writing skills a plus
- You like team-work, but can manage yourself day-to-day
- You’ve got a knack for planning and managing complex projects
- You’re low-ego and high-output (like the rest of our team)
- You’re happy to change directions quickly and frequently. “Build it, test it, iterate quickly” mentality a big plus
- You like working hard with a hard-working team.
- You’ve got a sense of humor, even (especially!) when the going gets tough
- You can make “quick & dirty” look shiny & nice
Location: Anywhere. Our office is virtual, and we collaborate online.
Contract Rate: Competitive and negotiable.
Start Date: February 1, 2011
To apply: Please send a cover letter, sample of your work, link to something amazing you’ve seen online lately, and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. MoveOn.org Civic Action is an equal-opportunity employer.
View full post on Recent Design Jobs
345 total views, 1 today