Location: New York, NY
As a Software Engineer on the R&D Ventures team, you will be working on solving complex and interesting problems. To handle some of the problems you will need to brainstorm on ideas that require knowledge of many aspects of Computer Science including but not limited to: information retrieval, data storage, distributed computing and processing, algorithms, security, etc.
Although you will be working on a team that typically uses Python and MongoDB for their day to day tasks, we strongly believe that a programming languages and technologies are merely tools that aid in accomplishing a goal. We also believe in using the right tool for the right job, so as a member of the team, you may be required to create prototypes with unfamiliar technologies on a fairly regular basis.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline (in lieu of degree 4 years relevant work experience)
- 2 to 4 years of relevant work experience with large systems software design and development skills
- Extensive programming skills with strong Object Oriented programming skills (Java/C++/Python).
- Solid foundation in computer science with competencies in data structures and algorithms.
- Experience building software in a team based environment using a Source Code Management System (Subversion, Git, Mercurial etc.)
- M.S or PhD in Computer Science or related field
- Understanding of Relational (MySQL, Oracle etc.) as well as Non Relational (NoSQL) Database systems (MongoDB, CouchDB, Redis, Hadoop, HBase etc).
- Prior experience building web based API’s.
- Prior experience integrating with 3rd party API’s (Preferably Facebook and Twitter API’s).
- Experience developing for Unix/Linux based systems.
- Experience with asynchronous data processing using queuing systems (Beanstalkd, RabbitMQ etc.)
- Familiarity with software deployed in a Cloud based system such as AWS or Rackspace cloud.
- Familiarity with Agile development methodologies such as Scrum
The New York Times Company, a leading global, multimedia news and information company with 2011 revenues of $2.3 billion, includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYTimes.com, BostonGlobe.com, Boston.com, About.com and related properties. The Company’s core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news, information and entertainment.
The New York Times Company is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. The New York Times Company is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
To apply: Send resume to email@example.com
View full post on Recent Design Jobs
404 total views, 1 today