New York Times: Video Software Engineer
Location: New York, NY
The New York Times is seeking curious, creative and passionate software engineers to create cutting-edge video experiences across the site. This is a rare opportunity to play an integral part in transforming the publishing industry. The successful candidate must not only be an outstanding developer, he or she will be expected to help develop new ideas and creative uses of technology to make NYTimes.com the premier news site for our visitors and advertisers. Ideally this person has experience with one of the modern web development frameworks and the ability to develop a project through its entire lifecycle.
As part of our Web Technologies team, you will enjoy a vibrant culture that promotes innovation — nestled within an established and respected institution. Inside our new midtown building, you will find floor-to-ceiling windows, plenty of whiteboards, a sushi chef, and a staff with a sense of humor and a passion for beautiful software. As part of our commitment to our developer relations and larger development ecosystem support we host:
– Frequent technical presentations for knowledge sharing within and across teams
– An internal technical challenge competition that rewards the authors of practical solutions, by giving them the time, resources and support needed to create production-ready application
– The Times Developer Network, a clearinghouse for the open APIs we build on top of our high-quality content data sources: http://developer.nytimes.com/
– The Open Blog, where we describe API capabilities and improvements and cover a wide range of other interesting topics: http://open.blogs.nytimes.com/
– The TimesOpen event series, which engages, draws from and contributes to the larger developer community: http://nytimes.com/marketing/timesopen/
– Writing beautiful code for applications and services that will give our visitors the experience they expect from a world class media organization
– Integrating a diverse set of data sources including search engines, json and XML data and remote services
– Providing solid architecture and documentation for your applications so that those that come after you know what to expect
– Be a collaborative part of a team of extremely talented developers who love to learn and grow
You must have:
– B.S./B.A. in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
– Strong understanding of object oriented design & programming
– Mastery of at least one modern object oriented language such as PHP (preferred) or Java
– Working knowledge of CSS and semantic HTML
– Experience delivering video experiences in Flash and HTML5 for a variety of device profiles
– Experience with video platforms such as BrightCove, YouTube and Vimeo.
– Familiarity with advertising standards and platforms for video products
– Familiarity with 3rd party services for video integration such as Taboola.
– Ability to communicate effectively with business side clients to gather and translate functional specs
– Strong verbal and written communication skills
You probably should have:
– Have passion about improving your code and our products
– Have a willingness to laugh and have fun in what is a fantastic opportunity to grow and change the media industry with us
– Skills in at least one video game that we play after work
– A mild appreciation for crazy whiteboard art
You ideally have:
– Experience working as part of a large development team
– Experience with the SCRUM agile methodology, and ideally have used Jira and Confluence
– Experience writing shared and reusable components of code
– Experience designing and tuning applications that scale
– Use of source control systems
– Familiarity with modern deployment and testing tools or platforms
The New York Times Company, a leading global, multimedia news and information company with 2011 revenues of $2.3 billion, includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYTimes.com, BostonGlobe.com, Boston.com and related properties. The Company’s core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news, information and entertainment.
The New York Times Company is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. The New York Times Company is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
To apply: send resume to email@example.com
View full post on Recent Programming Jobs
333 total views, 1 today