Location: Los Angeles, CA
What You Would Do: As a seasoned software packaging engineer, you would help us disseminate our software development kit to the wider world. As a member of Oblong’s Core Platform Team, you would be responsible for building installation media for our software on a variety of platforms. We package and distribute our g-speak SDK, as well as applications that we build on top of the SDK. Currently our supported platforms are RedHat Enterprise Linux, Ubuntu LTS, MacOS, and Windows. Our aim is to make installation as user-friendly as possible across these platforms. As a package manager, your clients would include in-house developers, our Fortune-500 clients, and soon, the general public.
As a packaging engineer, you will work with the VP of Software Engineering to define automatable internal procedures, and translate those procedures into a software infrastructure that makes packaging new software straightforward. This position requires a high comfort level with packaging on at least one of the platforms we use.
About Us: Oblong Industries’ innovative technologies transform the way you work, create, and collaborate. The era of one human, one mouse, one screen, one machine is giving way to what’s next: multiple participants, working in proximity and remotely, using a groundbreaking spatial interface to control applications and data spread across every display. This is what Oblong builds. It’s why we’re here.
Founded by MIT graduates whose work spanned realtime computer graphics systems, large-scale visualization techniques, and new methods for human-machine interaction, Oblong’s technology has its roots in over a decade of research at MIT’s Media Laboratory. As a leader in the evolution of digital interfaces, Oblong developed a radically new platform called the g-speak Spatial Operating Environment. With its headquarters in Los Angeles, and a European office in Barcelona, Spain, Oblong currently serves Fortune 500 enterprise customers.
Oblong is growing and looking for someone who is excited about working in a dynamic, challenging, and innovative funded start-up environment. This position is full-time and based out of our Los Angeles, CA office. For applicants located outside of the greater LA area, Oblong offers relocation assistance.
What We Look For: Having experience with the specific tools we use is a plus, but not a requirement. We place a higher value on flexibility and adaptability, because the state of the art is ever changing. If you are someone who really enjoys defining procedures, wants to help us to automate them, and has the desired skills listed below, we’d like to hear from you.
• Minimum 2+ years working with similar systems in a production environment
• Expert in packaging on Linux, either Ubuntu .deb or RedHat .rpm spec files
• Expert in a shell scripting language (bash or other)
• Experience creating software installers for OS X (PackageMaker)
• Experience managing sys v init scripts
• Comfort with perl scripting, or willingness to learn
• Relational database management experience (especially Postgres) is a plus
• Microsoft Visual Studio is a plus but not required
Benefits and Perks:
• Competitive salary
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance
• 401K plan
• Gourmet lunches 3 days/week
How to Apply:
If this position sounds good to you, please provide the following three items in an email to email@example.com
1. A short cover letter describing to us what you think is interesting about the work going on at Oblong, how your background fits with what we’re doing, and why you want to work with us.
2. A resume in either plain text or pdf format (only plain text or pdf, please).
3. If possible, we’d like to see a piece of your work. Please include a substantial example of your prose writing, or a link to or bundle of sample code, or a pointer to a mailing list thread in which you submit patches or offer contributions to a project, or a deck of slides, or a link to a portfolio of visual design.
To apply: If this position sounds good to you, please see details above to apply.
View full post on Recent Programming Jobs
358 total views, 1 today