Location: Los Angeles, CA
What You Would Do: Are you passionate about creating websites with Ruby on Rails? Do you like to write your own Rails plugins and experiment with the power of Ruby? Are you comfortable with databases and accessing them from outside of the Rails stack? Bonus: Do you like Edward Tufte’s work?
The focus of this role will be building and maintaining a public-facing website for distribution and support of our g-speak SDK. The platform for the distribution website is Ruby on Rails, RefineryCMS, and Postgres. The site will be heavy with videos, documentation, software downloads, tutorials, and other types of content; the RefineryCMS engine will need to be extended to support all these features in an elegant and easy-to-maintain manner. You will work closely with the author of Enterprise Rails in designing scalable solutions to these problems.
About Us: Oblong Industries’ innovative technologies transform the way you work, create, and collaborate. The era of one human, one mouse, one screen, one machine is giving way to what’s next: multiple participants, working in proximity and remotely, using a groundbreaking spatial interface to control applications and data spread across every display. This is what Oblong builds. It’s why we’re here.
Founded by MIT graduates whose work spanned realtime computer graphics systems, large-scale visualization techniques, and new methods for human-machine interaction, Oblong’s technology has its roots in over a decade of research at MIT’s Media Laboratory. As a leader in the evolution of digital interfaces, Oblong developed a radically new platform called the g-speak Spatial Operating Environment. With its headquarters in Los Angeles and a European office in Barcelona, Spain, Oblong currently serves Fortune 500 enterprise customers.
Oblong is growing and looking for someone who is excited about working in a dynamic, challenging, and innovative funded start-up environment. This position is full-time and based out of our Los Angeles, CA office. For applicants located outside of the greater LA area, Oblong offers relocation assistance.
What We Look For: If you have the desired skills listed below and think this work sounds exciting, we’d like to hear from you.
• B.S. Computer Science or equivalent
• 2+ years experience working on a production Ruby on Rails website
• Solid understanding of database schema design (experience with Postgres a strong plus)
• Strong HTML and CSS skills
• Comfort working on the UNIX command line
Nice to haves:
• Experience with RefineryCMS
• Appreciation for visual design
• Experience deploying in cloud architectures, including Amazon Web Services or Heroku
• Unix system administration experience a plus
Benefits and Perks:
• Competitive salary
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance
• 401K plan
• Gourmet lunches 3 days/week
How to Apply:
If this position sounds good to you, please provide the following three items in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. A short cover letter describing to us what you think is interesting about the work going on at Oblong, how your background fits with what we’re doing, and why you want to work with us.
2. A resume in either plain text or pdf format (only plain text or pdf, please).
3. If possible, we’d like to see a piece of your work. Please include URLs of production Ruby on Rails web sites you have been involved with and specify what components were your direct contribution.
To apply: If this position sounds good to you, please provide the three items listed above in an email to email@example.com.
View full post on Recent Programming Jobs
341 total views, 1 today