Location: New York, NY (or Elsewhere)
OpenGeo is seeking a front-end developer to design and implement great user experiences for GeoNode (http://geonode.org/
), an innovative open source platform for sharing, creating, and using spatial data.
You will contribute to an unprecedented and growing open source project that is changing the ways international governments, scientists, and academics use data and share results. Working with a team of geospatial software experts, you’ll be building interfaces that enable users to collaboratively map cultural, temporal, and geographic change.
This is the job for you if you are a person that:
- Dreams up elegant designs and then makes them a reality
- Uses HTML, CSS, JS, and XML to build pretty things
- Excels at taking feature lists and turning them into friendly, usable interfaces
We’re looking for a gifted UX developer who has:
- Proficiency with prototyping tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and OmniGraffle
- Solid experience transforming designs into actual code
- Commitment to producing quality work on aggressive timelines
- Ability to work collaboratively in a remote environment
The ideal candidate offers:
- Solid background in geospatial technologies or related field
- Experience in open source software and communities
- Knowledge of HTML5 beyond the buzzwords, even for Internet Explorer
- Familiarity with version control systems, especially Git and Subversion
You must be organized, self-directed, and passionate about using your skills to make information ever more free and accessible. Please include links to an online portfolio or samples of your work.
We invest in the best people and treat them right. We offer competitive salaries and great benefits (all the basics, plus five weeks of vacation and lots of snacks). Your work will see the light of day. Most importantly, your designs will help us build software that challenges the status quo.
OpenGeo is the geospatial division of OpenPlans, a New York–based 501(c)(3) not-for-profit that functions as a high tech social incubator. OpenPlans is a ‘dot-org’: a non-profit connecting open source software with social change. We aim to make data open, accessible and useful. We’re looking for someone who wants to use technology to make a difference.
Our team is distributed from Austria to Argentina, with higher concentrations in New York, NY. We’d love to have you in New York or Washington DC but if you’re far away and really good we can live with that too.
To apply: Visit http://opengeo.org/about/careers/ux-developer/ and click the "Apply Now" button at the bottom.
View full post on Recent Programming Jobs
152 total views, 1 today