Location: Pasadena, California
Front End Interactive News Developer
Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public radio network that operates 89.3 KPCC-FM in Los Angeles and Orange County, 89.1 KUOR-FM in the Inland Empire and 90.3 KPCV in the Coachella Valley. Reaching more than 600,000 listeners every week, SCPR is the most listened to public radio news service of any kind in Southern California and serves the diverse communities of Southern California with award winning local news coverage as well as the most NPR (National Public Radio) content available anywhere in the region.
SCPR’s flagship station, KPCC, has garnered over 200 journalistic honors including 3 Distinguished Radio Journalist awards (from the Greater LA Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists) and the 2008 top honor for Breaking News from the LA Press Club. SCPR also features signature public radio programs from American Public Media, the BBC and Public Radio International. Listeners around the globe can access news, join blogs, download podcasts, as well as hear a live web stream at www.scpr.org
Our workplace is as dynamic as our programming! Diverse, creative and compelling doesn’t just describe what we do, but also who we are. We tap into the life experiences of our employees for perspective and balance. In addition to pursuing your talents in a creative, energetic workplace, you’ll discover competitive pay and benefits, a culture that encourages learning and development, and opportunities for advancement. A career at Southern California Public Radio is your opportunity to inspire – and to be inspired.
The Front-End/Interactive News Developer will work closely with the technical and editorial staff to aid in the creation, production and maintenance of digital initiatives for 89.3 KPCC Southern California Public Radio (KPCC.org). S/he works in a creative and technical capacity to conceive, build and maintain audience-facing sites and apps that support high-volume digital content distribution for KPCC public radio audiences. This position will work in a hands-on capacity to build and maintain KPCC websites and online tools. The Front-End/Interactive News Developer works on a variety of digital media platform products including websites, iPhone apps, mobile websites, blogs, streaming and downloadable audio and video services, RSS feeds, podcasts, e-mail newsletters, and more.
Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public radio network that operates several radio stations in and around Los Angeles. Reaching more than 600,000 listeners every week, SCPR is the most listened to public radio news service of any kind in Southern California and serves the diverse communities of Southern California with award winning local news coverage as well as the most NPR (National Public Radio) content available anywhere in the region.
- Conceive, build and maintain audience-facing sites and apps that support high-volume digital content distribution for KPCC public radio audiences
- Responds to daily production priorities and Web development requests defined and assigned by the Senior UX-Designer
- Works in conjunction with designer, programmers, and producers to create and support systems which allow digital and broadcast staff to build, maintain and deliver online content via a broad range of vehicles, including websites, mobile devices, streaming and downloaded media, newsletters, podcasts, etc.
- Checks work for CSS and HTML accuracy and browser compatibility
- Stays current with emerging trends in digital news design, SEO, social media, and front-end development to ensure the organization uses the latest technologies
- Contributes to the vision and planning of activities to advance SCPR’s digital platforms
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in computer science, journalism, media, communications, design and/or equivalent experience
- A background in building high-traffic websites or apps for news/editorial organizations
- Experience implementing and scaling content management systems (Drupal, WordPress or other) to work well for content-driven organizations with an editorial workflow
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- An eye for design and the ability to conceive and prototype news apps and new product features
- Good editorial judgment and intuition about how to design and package content in new ways
- Strong knowledge of SEO, SEM and social media trends
- Ability to work under heavy deadline pressure
- Ability to work with little supervision
- Good front-end development skills, with ability/desire to learn to code Rails templates
- Good ideas, strong opinions, a collaborative attitude and strong work ethic
- HTML/CSS mastery, with a passion for web standards
- Experience with JS frameworks (we use jQuery) and AJAX/JSON
- Experience maintaining, customizing and extending content management systems
- Solid oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in an interdisciplinary team environment
- Familiarity with communicating technical requirements
- Ability to analyze requirements and provide accurate work estimates
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience working with various media formats (streaming and on demand) and systems
- Experience with Rails, or a comparable MVC framework
- Stylesheet authoring frameworks like SASS or LESS
- Experience designing/developing apps or websites for mobile devices
- Experience conducting user research and usability testing
- Experience with data visualization and mapping tools
- Experience with HTML5/CSS3 and related technologies: particularly CSS media queries, HTML5 video/audio, JS feature detection, geolocation and web storage, and Canvas
- Experience with public media a plus
For a complete job description and to apply go to:
Southern California Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We encourage candidates with a diversity of life experiences to apply.
Enrich your mind. Build your community.
Expand your career.
To apply: Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/h2fvtcb
View full post on Recent Programming Jobs
418 total views, 1 today