Southern California Public Radio: Sr. UX Designer-Developer, Web & Apps
Location: Los Angeles, California
California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public radio
network that operates 89.3 KPCC-FM in Los Angeles and Orange County,
89.1 KUOR-FM in the Inland Empire and 90.3 KPCV in the Coachella Valley.
Reaching more than 600,000 listeners every week, SCPR is the most
listened to public radio news service of any kind in Southern California
and serves the diverse communities of Southern California with award
winning local news coverage as well as the most NPR (National Public
Radio) content available anywhere in the region.
station, KPCC, has garnered over 200 journalistic honors including 3
Distinguished Radio Journalist awards (from the Greater LA Chapter of
the Society of Professional Journalists) and the 2008 top honor for
Breaking News from the LA Press Club. SCPR also features signature
public radio programs from American Public Media, the BBC and Public
Radio International. Listeners around the globe can access news, join
blogs, download podcasts, as well as hear a live web stream at
Diverse, creative and compelling doesn’t just describe what we do, but
also who we are. We tap into the life experiences of our employees for
perspective and balance. In addition to pursuing your talents in a
creative, energetic workplace, you’ll discover competitive pay and
benefits, a culture that encourages learning and development, and
opportunities for advancement. A career at Southern California Public
Radio is your opportunity to inspire – and to be inspired.
Senior UX Designer/Front-End Developer is responsible for creating a
distinctive visual/interaction design for KPCC websites, niche sites,
mobile sites and mobile applications which complements the public radio
on-air sound and identity. This position rapidly visualizes information
presentation for the web (and portable devices) and turns that vision
into a functional prototype. The Sr. Designer-Developer supervises two
Web Developers. In addition to working with his/her staff, this
positions works in a fluid environment with a far-flung team of editors,
bloggers, developers, partners and business stakeholders to design and
build a technology solution that enables the exploration of what local
news in the public media space can become.
- Develop the information architecture and visual/interaction design for websites, apps, and digital channels
a desktop and mobile site experience that focuses on the user’s
interests and needs, while also maximizing production efficiency for
- Lead internal and external project teams
including content editors and technologists to crystallize a user
experience strategy and deliver working design updates, prototypes,
mobile sites and apps which integrate with our existing Django/Python
web development framework
- Conceptualize and produce visually
rich interfaces that attract audience interaction, convey stories and
ideas, attract new audiences, and help the organization reach its online
- Manage design and development projects
(websites, mobile apps, newsletter, special projects) from conception
through execution, including presentation, iteration, and build-out
- Hire, supervise, train and manage direct
staff through coaching, mentorship, performance meetings and on-going
feedback. Involve HR on performance issues as needed.
- Foster a
creative and productive work environment. Create development
opportunities and individualized development plans for staff and
training to enhance skills and foster growth.
- Establish, document, and maintain visual styles, methods, and procedures
- Work with other key members of various digital teams to develop and execute usability testing on Web sites.
- Maintain an awareness of digital design and development trends and regularly implements new visual approaches to the Web sites.
with other groups within the organization to establish, maintain and
extend visual branding standards across all communications channels.
- Other duties as assigned
- Undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent in design or technology
years experience as a key member of a user experience team for a
consumer-oriented media/news website or design agency, with at least
three years experience in a project management role.
experience is required – must demonstrate an ability to foster high
standards and an ability to coach, inspire and lead.
usability, and technical experience in developing site maps, wireframes,
visual design concepts, and working prototypes for database-driven web
sites and mobile apps.
- Extensive experience with rapid prototyping
- Experience with one or more content management systems
- Experience in user analysis, usability testing requirements analysis, and functional specifications
- Significant web design experience taking projects from concept to code
- Experience creating mobile apps for iPhone, iPad, or Android
- Experience with collaboration tools like Google Docs and Basecamp
- Passion for presentation, disruptive technologies and unbound curiosity for how news, technology, and people come together.
- Ability to create beautiful designs and transform them into working, functional websites and applications.
- Great eye for user-centered design and information architecture with strong hands-on development skills.
- Attention to detail that is evident in both the designs and the resulting code.
- Self-starter who has the attitude that anything is possible.
- Compelling portfolio of past projects.
to strike the right balance between working autonomously and
demonstrating personal initiative on the one hand, and collaborating as a
team player at a departmental, divisional and/or inter-divisional
- Able to act as a bridge between editorial and development teams
- Supervisory skills and ability to recruit, coach and develop talent
- Leadership and personnel skills and ability to inspire and lead the staff.
- Strong coding ability is a must. Our web development framework is Python/Django.
- Mobile development experience with Objective-C or Java
- Ability to adapt to shifting priorities
- Strong multi-tasking capability
- Strong collaboration and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong leadership capability
- Social media API knowledge
- Understanding of Google Analytics, Webtrends, Comscore, and similar statistics packages
- Strong understanding of web standards, accessibility and best practices
- Experience with rapid & iterative development cycles (e.g., agile and extreme programming) highly desirable
- Prior experience at a news organization or a design agency serving clients in the news industry
- Database/PHP experience a plus
- Experience with Drupal a plus
- Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter API integration and application development a plus
- Video editing experience using Final Cut Pro helpful
- Passion for innovative products & technologies, and open-source projects
California Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage
candidates with a diversity of life experiences to apply.
To apply: Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/hhznmh8
View full post on Recent Design Jobs
479 total views, 1 today