Location: Winter Park, FL, USA
Position: Ruby on Rails/Web Developer
Location: Winter Park, FL
Date: October 19, 2010
Highwinds is an established leader in multi-platform IP services, content replication, and delivery software and services. Since 2002, we have provided for the advancement of a wide range of technologies – including messaging bus architecture, network management, distributed file systems and advanced routing methods.
If you are motivated to deliver high quality and innovative services, Highwinds can offer you a great career opportunity. We offer benefits including 401k, medical, dental, vision, paid time off, and a competitive salary to qualified team members.
As a Ruby on Rails/Web Developer, you’ll be responsible for the architecture and development of multiple web applications supporting Highwinds’ multi-million dollar retail and affiliate marketing businesses.
Every member of our team is focused on the needs of our customers and the future of our business, and your work will directly impact how the company and product get to the next level. When you join our team, your ideas will shape the future roadmap of the platform as you bring them to life through code.
If the following description sounds like you, you are going to love being a part of our team.
· You have strong passion for high-quality software and the ability to deliver product in an informal, agile environment.
· You prefer a whiteboard brainstorming session to written specifications.
· You don’t require management oversight to produce results. Once you have some direction, you take responsibility for the work at hand and have the initiative, imagination, and motivation to get it done.
· You like to learn from others, and to share knowledge and best practices. You’re a fan of collaborative design and peer reviews.
· You have excellent deductive reasoning, problem solving, and decision-making skills. When it’s necessary to compromise to meet a deadline, you’re confident you can make the right decisions to achieve a balanced result.
· You have a positive attitude with excellent interpersonal/communication skills. You’re happy working both independently and with others in a multi-team setting.
· You’re not comfortable unless you’re at the top of your game. When you’re not at work, you’re tinkering with new technologies or catching up on ideas from industry thought leaders. You might even have your own blog.
· You’re passionate about developing rich interactive web applications on the RoR platform.
· Participate in collaborative code review and system design sessions.
· Break down and estimate user stories
· Brainstorm with the marketing team to shape the implementation of end-user and internal stakeholder requests.
· Work with Web Designers, QA testers and Project Managers.
· Three or more years of professional experience as a web developer in a team environment of any size.
· Thorough understanding of web development targeting diverse browser and operating system platforms, including the ability to gracefully degrade the user experience for mobile and legacy browsers.
· Strong demonstrable knowledge of the Rails framework and unit/integration testing of RoR applications. Demonstrable understanding of object-oriented technology and basic industry design patterns.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to present ideas in a group setting and constructively critique the work of others.
· Experience with a database platform such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, MS SQL Server, etc.
· Experience working with source control systems in a parallel development environment.
· Understanding of REST service architecture.
· Experience working with Unix/Linux systems (navigating file system, running commands, etc…)
· Bachelor’s degree in a software-related field (Comp. Sci. or equivalent strongly desired) or comparable industry experience.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Fun and friendly office environment
· Occasional travel may be required
· Occasional overtime may be necessary to meet goals
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive.
Highwinds is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply: If you are interested in this position with Highwinds, please submit your cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of your email, please include the title of the position.
If your experience and qualifications match ou
View full post on Recent Programming Jobs