Location: University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, IL
Visual Interface Designer
Information Technology and Communications Services
College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is accepting applications to fill a Visual Interface Designer position. The primary focus of this position is visual interface design for new media and requires excellent, independent aesthetic judgment and a keen interest in staying abreast with emerging design trends as well as web technologies. This position requires utilizing special knowledge involving the intersection of research, instruction and technology to connect the faculty, students, staff and the people of Illinois. This is a full-time academic professional position in the Web Management and Support team of Information Technology and Communication Services (ITCS) and reports to the team leader of Web Management and Support.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Conceptualize and create intuitive, visually engaging, and brand-consistent interfaces for the college, its departments, and units in collaboration with fellow designers, information architects, and programmers.
· Utilize exceptional analytical skills and experience to choose appropriate styles of visual design for identified target audiences.
· Collaborate in the creation of a logical and easy to navigate user experience. Create graphics, organization/structure models, conceptualization, and visual identity for college’s online presence.
· Supervise and mentor student employees.
· Create wireframes, prototypes, illustrations, icons, and other graphical assets that visually communicate technical concepts.
· Produce and document design deliverables that can be shared and reused across sites/applications. Actively contribute to a shared repository of design patterns and artifacts and maintain creation of a house style guide.
· Train faculty, administrators and staff on key aspects of web content management.
· Stay up-to-date on current trends in visual design for web, mobile, desktop, and tablet applications.
BS/BA degree in New Media, Art and Design, Information Systems, or related field. Alternative degree areas may be considered/accepted if accompanied by equivalent experience (depending on nature and depth of experience).
Minimum of three years of modern web design experience with very strong design fundamentals, including typography and layout. Expert knowledge of and experience using Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop. Experience with HTML5 and CSS3 and ability to write clean, functional standards-compliant code.
· Knowledge of and experience with accessibility standards adherence.
· Proven ability to identify and meet project design requirements.
· Ability to handle multiple projects at the same time.
· Strong communication skills, including client presentation skills.
· Familiarity with modern web techniques and tools such as multimedia, user interface design, AJAX, and jQuery (or similar) library along with a solid understanding of modern browser (desktop + mobile) capabilities.
· Experience developing responsive sites for mobile audiences and designing mobile applications on iOS and Android platforms.
· Experience building sites driven by content management systems such as Drupal or WordPress.
· Familiarity with higher-education clients/work environments or instructional development.
This is a renewable 12-month, 100%-time appointment with regular University benefits. Start date will be as soon as possible after the closing date of the search. Interviews may be conducted before the closing date, although no hiring decisions will be made until after the search has closed.
SALARY: Salary will be commensurate with training and experience.
START DATE: Starting date is as soon as possible after the closing date.
Applicants are required to provide links to online portfolio highlighting proficiency in graphic and interface design and documentation clearly explaining involvement in each showcased project.
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by November 7, 2012. Electronic submission of applications is required (Word, RTF, or PDF format). Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu
and upload your letter of application, resume including email address, and the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of three references by November 7, 2012. We prefer all documents be uploaded into a single pdf. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Anissa Connolly at email@example.com
The University of Illinois is an Affirmative Action /Equal Opportunity Employer. The administration, faculty, and staff embrace diversity and are committed to attracting qualified candidates who also embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.
To apply: https://jobs.illinois.edu/academic-job-board/job-details?jobID=24355&job=visual-interface-designer-itcs-a1200499
View full post on Recent Design Jobs