The Jellyvision Lab, Inc.: Web Application Developer
Location: Chicago, IL
known as the creator of the hit YOU DON’T KNOW JACK game series, The
Jellyvision Lab has expanded our roster of engaging personalities beyond
virtual game show hosts to virtual teachers, insurance agents,
salespeople, advisors… you name it. We’re a digital marketing agency
that has pioneered a new approach to interactivity called Interactive Conversation
that allows machines to communicate more like people. Not in that AI
robot sort of way, but in a radio/television, written-by-writers,
performed-by-actors sort of way.
(60 people or so), creative, focused, and driven company, with a strong
vision for bringing interactive communication to the web for Fortune 500
maintaining internally used toolkits. Secondary responsibility is
assisting with basic Linux systems administration. This position
requires understanding of a wide variety of applications, API’s,
middleware, and security. THIS IS NOT A WEB DESIGNER JOB.
also participate in platform architecture decisions and be a key player
on the hosting operations team. Please read on for more specifics…
- Build and maintain web-based tools to manage creation and configuration of cloud-based systems and technologies
- Database management (MySQL and SimpleDB)
- Basic data modeling
- Identify tasks for automation and build tools around them
- Network monitoring system configuration and management
- Architect and build new provisioning tools
- New technology research (e.g., HTML 5, NoSQL)
administration (we have sysadmins, but you need to be comfortable
working on Linux servers at the command line)
- CSS 2/3
- Apache configuration
- MySQL and replication
- BASH shell scripting
- Rapidly design, deploy and maintain multi-tiered web apps based on broad definitions.
- Define security policies around data handling
able to juggle multiple tasks, track changes, AND maintain attention to
- Understanding of Amazon Web Services, specifically: EC2, EBS, S3, SQS,SimpleDB and RDS
- Understanding of network monitoring/management systems
- Working knowledge of Puppet
- Basic understanding of LDAP
- Knowledge of other programming languages (e.g., Java, Python, Ruby)
- Be a life-long learner
- Be disciplined…in your engineering
- Be imaginative…in your engineering
- Understand urgency, and when to apply it
- Write clear, easy to understand documentation
- Be able to read through and understand code for troubleshooting purposes
- Have a willingness to calmly own and resolve unexpected incidents that occur in a hosting environment
- Be a great communicator: written, verbal, Skype, video conferencing, smoke signals, sideways glances
who are willing to work hard. Jellyvision is a group effort and you
must be capable of working collaboratively with creative, technical, and
occasionally sales types. Everyone at Jellyvision shares a commitment
to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly
atmosphere. Please check out www.jellyvisionlab.com to learn more.
- Competitive pay and a flexible schedule.
- Fully loaded benefits plan. 401K with matching and fully covered disability, life, medical, and dental insurance.
- Casual dress. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, whatever, like everyone else here.
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place
that is full of intelligent, talented and innovative folks. Although
most hours the place is deathly quiet (we’re a focused bunch), this is
punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment, which makes a
nice way to spend the day.
- Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with free healthy
foods – sandwich, cereal and snack type things – that’s fair game to
all employees while it lasts.
- Easy transportation. We’re really close to the “L” and the
Halsted (#8) bus, right by the new Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods if
that’s your kind of thing.
- Did we mention our yoga class? We bring a pro instructor right to the office. Fully subsidized by Jellyvision and fully optional, btw.
- Oh! And you should know that we have a massage chair. And not
just any massage chair, my friend. It’s the HumanTouch HT 5320
WholeBody™ Massage Chair. Feeling a little stiff? Sit down. Relax. Feel
better? Good. Okay, back to work.
- A cover letter that highlights three reasons you think
you’d be great for the gig, focusing on how your past work experience
has prepared you for this kind of position. Writing is key to all that
we do, and we weigh cover letters heavily – even for developers.
- Your resume.
application, and you will hear from us again after we’ve reviewed your
application and decided whether or not to move you forward in our
To apply: Go to http://hire.jobvite.com/j/?aj=ohXRVfwK&s=37signals to apply.
View full post on Recent Programming Jobs
235 total views, 1 today